if currentID = 1 or currentID = 11 then%>
- Nankivell BJ, Chapman JR. Chronic allograft nephropathy: current concepts and future directions. Transplantation 2006 March 15; 81(5): 643-54.
- Loper KA. Clinical toxicology of cocaine. Med Toxicol Adverse Drug Exp. 1989 May-Jun; 4(3):174-85.
- Doulton T, Sabharwal N, Cairns HS, Schelenz S, Eykyn S, O'Donnell P, Chambers J, Austen C, Goldsmith DJ. Infective endocarditis in dialysis patients: new challenges and old. Kidney Int. 2003 Aug; 64(2): 720-7.
- Brawn PD, Levine DP. Infective endocarditis in the injection drug user. Infect Dis Clin North Am. 2002 Sept; 16(3): 645-65.
- Bashore TM, Cabell C, Fowler V Jr. Update on infective endocarditis. Curr Probl Cardiol. 2006 Apr; 31(4): 274-352.
- McDonald JR, Olaison L, Anderson DJ, Hoen B, Miro JM, Eykyn S, Abrutyn E, Fowler VG Jr, Habib G, Selton-Suty C, Pappas PA, Cabell CH, Corey GR, Marco F, Sexton DJ. Enterococcal endocarditis: 107 cases from the international collaboration on endocarditis merged database. Am J Med. 2005 Jul; 118(7): 759-66.
- Reynolds HR, Jagen MA, Tunick PA, Kronzon I. Sensitivity of tansthoracic versus transesophageal echocardiography for the detection of native valve vegetations in the modern era. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2003 Jan; 16(1): 67-70.
- Li JS, Sexton DJ, Mick N, Nettles R, Fowler VG Jr, Ryan T, Bashore T, Corey GR. Proposed modifications to the Duke criteria for the diagnosis of infective endocarditis. Clin Infect Dis. 2000; 30:633-8.
- Saleh A, Dawkins K, Monro J. Surgical treatment of infective endocarditis. Acta Cardiol. 2004 Dec; 59(6): 658-62.
- Greub G, Lepidi H, Rovery C, Casalta JP, Habib G, Collard F, Fournier PE, Raoult D. Diagnosis of infectious endocarditis in patients undergoing valve surgery. Am J Med. 2005 Mar; 118(3): 230-8.
- Brezina B, Qunibi WY, Nolan CR. Acid loading during treatment with sevelamer hidrochloride: mechanisms and clinical implications. Kidney Int Suppl. 2004 Sep; (90): S39-45.
- National Kidney Foundation. K/DOQI Clinical practice guidelines for bone metabolism and disease in chronic kidney disease. Am J Kidney Dis. 2003 Oct; 42 (Supp 3): S1-202.
- Brancaccio D, Zoccali C. The continuous challenge of cardiovascular and bone disease in uremic patients: Clinical consequences of hyperphosphatemia and advanced therapeutic approaches. J Nephrol. 2006 Jan-Feb; 19(1): 12-20.
- Qunibi WY. Consequences of hyperphosphatemia in patients with end-stage renal disease (ESRD). Kidney Int Suppl. 2004 Sep; (90): S8-12.
- Nolan CR. Phosphate binder therapy for attainment of K/DOQITM bone metabolism guidelines. Kidney Int Suppl. 2005 Jul; (96): S7-14.
- Zucchelli P, Santoro A. Inorganic phosphate removal during different dialytic procedures. Int J Artif Organs. 1987 May; 10(3): 173-8.
- Man NK, Chauveau P, Kuno T, Poignet JL, Yanai M. Phosphate removal during hemodialysis, hemodiafiltration, and hemofiltration. A reappraisal. ASAIO Trans.1991 Jul-Sep; 37(3): M463-5.
- Zehnder C, Gutzwiller JP, Renggli K. Hemodiafiltration - a new treatment option for hyperphosphatemia in hemodialysis patients. Clin Nephrol. 1999 Sep; 52(3): 152-9.
- Ahrenholz P, Winkler RE, Ramlow W, Tiess M, Muller W. On-line hemodiafiltration with pre- and postdilution: a comparison of efficacy. Int J Artif Organs. 1997 Feb; 20(2): 81-90.
- Bolasco P, Ghezzi PM, Ferrara R, Cogoni G, Cadinu F, Casu D, Murtas S. New method for phosphate kinetics estimation during hemodialysis and on-line hemodiafiltration with endogenous reinfusion. Blood Purif. 2006; 24(3): 301-8.
- Rufino M, Garcia S, Jimenez A, Alvarez A, Miquel R, Delgado P, Marrero D, Torres A, Hernandez D, Lorenzo V. Heart valve calcification and calcium x phosphorus product in hemodialysis patients: analysis of optimum values for its prevention. Kidney Int Suppl. 2003 Jun; (85): S115-8.
- Ventura JE, Tavella N, Romero C, Petraglia A, Báez A, Muñoz L. Aortic valve calcification is an indipendent factor of left ventricular hypertrophy in patients on maintenance haemodialysis. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2002 Oct; 17(10):1795-801.
- Panuccio V, Tripepi R, Tripepi G, Mallamaci F, Benedetto FA, Cataliotti A, Bellanuova I, Giacone G, Malattino LS, Zoccali C. Heart valve calcifications, survival, and cardiovascular risk in hemodialysis patients. Am J Kidney Dis 2004 Mar; 43(3): 479-84.
- Seliger SL. Elevated risk of stroke among patients with end-stage renal disease. Kidney Int. 2003 Aug; 64(2): 603-9.
- Barnes B, Cawley CM, Barrow DL. Intracerebral hemorrhage secondary to vascular lesions. Neurosurg Clin N Am. 2002 Jul; 13(3): 289-97.
- McEvoy AW, Kitchen ND, Thomas DG. Lesson of the week. Intracerebral haemorrhage in young adult: the emerging importance of drug misuse. BMJ 2000 May 13;320: 1322-4.
- Carpentier AF, Pellerin M, Fuzellier JF, Relland JY. Extensive calcification of the mitral valve anulus: pathology and surgical management. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1996 Apr; 111(4): 718-29.
- Tsuneyoshi H, Komeda M. Update on mitral valve surgery. J Artif Organs. 2005; 8(4): 222-7.
- Piga M, Bolasco PG, Satta L, Altieri P, Loi G, Nicolosi A, Tarquini A, Mariotti S. Double-Phase Parathyroid Technetium-99m-MIBI Scintigraphy to identify functional autonomy in secondary hyperparathyroidism. J Nucl Med 1996 Apr(4); 37: 565-9.
- Lindberg J, Martin KJ, Gonzalez EA, Acchiardo SR, Valdin JR, Soltanek C. A long-term , multincenter study of the efficacy and safety of paricalcitol in end-stage renal disease. Clin Nephrol 2001 Oct; 56(4): 315-23.
- Robinson DM, Scott LJ. Paricalcitol: a review of its use in the management of secondary hyperparathyroidism. Drugs 2005; 65(4): 559-76.
- Moe SM, Cunningham J, Bommer J, Adler S, Rosansky SJ, Urena-Torres P, Albizem MB, Guo MD, Zani VJ, Goodman WG, Sprague SM. Long-term treatment of secondary hyperparathyroidism with the calcimimetic cinacalcet HCl. Nephrol Dial Transplant. 2005 Oct; 20(10):2186-93.
- Dong BJ. Cinacalcet: an oral calcimimetic agent for the management of hyperparathyroidism. Clin Ther. 2005 Nov; 27(11): 1725-51.
- Drueke TB. Calcimimetics versus vitamin D: what are their relative roles? Blood Purif. 2004; 22(1):38-43.
- Chertow GM, Blumenthal S, Turner S, Roppolo M, Stern L, Chi EM, Reed J. Cinacalcet Hydrochloride (Sensipar) in Hemodialysis patients on active vitamin D derivates with controlled PTH and elevated Calcium x Phosphate. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2006; 1: 305-12.
- Torres PU, Prie D, Beck L, Friedlander G. New therapies for uremic secondary hyperparathyroidism. J Ren Nutr. 2006 Apr; 16(2): 87-99.
The postoperative course was uneventful and acenocoumarol was started (target INR 3-4).
On 27th November, the patient was discharged.
Six months later, TTE showed a normally functioning aortic valve and furthermore, only minimal mitral regurgitation . In March 2002, the same diagnosis was confirmed by another TTE.
- With reference to cocaine addiction, psychological support was suggested but the patient refused it.
- Hyperparathyroidism has been one of the biggest challenges in this patient's history. On the one hand, pharmacological treatment with calcitriol was often discontinued or reduced on account of severe hyperphosphatemia, which was very difficult to treat due to poor dietetic compliance and the side effects of the phosphate binders: hypercalcemia during therapy with calcium carbonate, acidosis and abdominal discomfort during therapy with sevelamer (11) (Tab. III). On the other hand, any medical advice about PTx was firmly rejected by the patient.
TABLE III : Outcome of mineral metabolism and related therapy (Phase 2)